2008-10-07

SQL server express eller compact

I just thought I'd share my findings in choosing between SQL server Compact and Express. What are they for, and which one should I use in what scenario.

In short this paper explains that if you need any of:
- Multiple concurrent users
- Stored procedures
- Views
- Triggers
- Procedural T-SQL
- Native XML
...then you should go for the EXPRESS version.

If you do not need any of the above but do need any of:
- Less than 2 MB download size
- Embedding in your application
- To run it on a mobile device (which implies that considerably less resources are used by the compact version compared to the express version when running on a PC)
...then you should go for the COMPACT version.

I'd say that if you're developing a small single user application and don't plan to use any fancy database stuff then the compact version will do the job very nicely. As soon as you start to think "a few users" or "well, this can be more smoothly or elegantly solved if I just use [insert non-trivial database stuff here]" then go for the express version.

Hope this sorts things out for someone more than me. :)


PS: I just found a note on a few things that might com in handy if you want to use the compact version.

Inga kommentarer: